Blog Archive

Friday, March 11, 2011

Superhero Girl 38



Aw, Superhero Girl thinks she's found a friend, a comrade with whom she can complain about her brother! ... but he's actually packing a shrink ray gun in his skinny jeans, which is very impressive. (Insert phallic jokes here.)

The "to be continued! ... or not. Ya don't know, do ya?" is a direct swipe--er, HOMAGE to Bloom County, one of the greatest comic strips in the world, and something that allowed me to gain a great understanding of the 1980s, by reading them about a decade after they were originally published. Spiro Agnew! Apparently he was a guy that was pardoned? I dunno. Anyway. Bloom County: It Is Awesome!

14 comments:

  1. I assume it's a "shrink, ray gun" rather than a "shrink ray, gun."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gues the shrink ray gun can be shrunk so that you can fit it in your pocket...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, he might just have had it below the belt, out of shot..!

    This comic is so shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah - Bloom County. Without which I would never have known who Jimmy Hoffa was. Here's to cryptic yet still oddly hilarious comments about 1980's politics....!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I <3 Bloom County.

    Ever see The Specials? Best Superhero movie ever made. There's a whole shtick in it about Superhero style.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181836/

    Ignore all those low votes... they just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was reading Bloom County back when it was brand new. My lawn: get off it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bloom County IS awesome! I remember my dad having a couple of books of Bloom County comics, I read them a lot growing up, didn't always get it at the time, but I sure do now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The punchline I stole from Bloom County was "Medic!" Although I always wanted to have a chance to steal "For crying out loud! Is he dead again?!" "No, no. I'll get bactine."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bloom County was (after the Far Side) the coolest thing when I was an undergraduate, and...

    Oh, frak. I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just informed that this song exists, and my very first through was Superhero Girl.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZUJqvsDWRI

    She could do with a shot of confidence like this! C'mon, Superhero Girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spiro Agnew: Inspiration for beloved Sony video game character.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is that a shrink ray in your poket or are you just happy to see me?

    ReplyDelete